Puraflo wastewater treatment system
The Puraflo® wastewater treatment system is a peat biofilter incorporating peat fiber to provide high quality wastewater treatment for residential and light commercial developments.
Using a unique peat filter media, Puraflo is one of the highest performing, most reliable wastewater treatment systems on the market today. It has proven itself for nearly 20 years in a large number of U.S. residential and light commercial applications, as well as sites subject to intermittent use or existing sites needing repairs or upgrades.
The greatest benefits are derived from the reliability and simplicity of how Puraflo works. The system does not require blowers or re-circulating pumps, an important feature for any residential wastewater treatment system.
Following a septic tank containing an effluent filter, wastewater is time dosed, into the Puraflo wastewater treatment system. Time dosing is an important aspect of the design that protects the drain field and ensures high wastewater treatment performance, with ammonia levels of <5mg/l. For sites where no power is available a siphon system can be utilized for time-dosing.
Other benefits include:
- Ability to disperse treated effluent directly through a gravel pad beneath the Puraflo modules.
- Very low operating cost.
- Factory assembly reduces installation costs.
- The modular design of Puraflo allows phasing of construction.
How it works
Puraflo wastewater treatment follows a three-step process:
Wastewater flows from the home into a watertight septic tank. The solids settle and the liquid effluent flows by gravity to a pump basin/tank.
The liquid effluent is pumped by time-dosing at specific intervals into the Puraflo modules, where it is distributed evenly onto the peat media. A combination of biological, chemical, and physical processes treat the wastewater as it filters through the peat media.
Treated effluent emerges from the Puraflo modules and disperses either into a gravel pad directly below the modules or is collected for dispersal by other methods, including gravel trenches, low pressure pumping, drip irrigation and other conventional disposal methods.
Click here to see how the Puraflo peat fiber biofilter works.
Features & benefits
|Modular design||Flexible phasing options reduces upfront costs|
|Unique peat fiber media with lifespan up to 15 years||Low maintenance, long-term solution|
|Very low or no power requirements||Low operating costs|
|Ideal for seasonal or intermittent use||Excellent alternative for vacation homes, campgrounds|
|Certified to NSF/ANSI standard 40||Enhanced environmental and health protection|
Brochures & documentation
Download our product overview, engineering and technical specifications:
Download our Puraflo manuals:
- Puraflo Buoyancy Manual
- Puraflo Design Guide and Installation Manual
- Puraflo Installation or Inspection Checklist
- Puraflo Operation and Maintenance Manual
- Puraflo Owner's Manual
- Puraflo Polishing Filter Guidelines
- Puraflo Siphon Dosing System Manual
- Puraflo Type B Configuration Drain Piping Manual
Download our component one sheets:
Download our informational one sheets:
We have Excel design packages for frequently requested states. If you'd like a design package for your state, let us know and we'll put one together for you.
We also have detailed CAD drawings available for the following:
- Assembled Module
- Drain Pipe
- Module Grid
- Pump Tank
- Sample Chamber
- Septic Tank
- Septic Tank and Pump
- Type A and B Installations
- Type A Pad Installation
Please send us an email at email@example.com and let us know which of these CAD drawings you need and we'll get them right out to you.
Download the case studies most relevant to your needs or situation:
- High-Quality Effluent Solution in a Small Footprint
- Puraflo Provides Cleaner Effluent for Alabama Campground
- Puraflo Provides Cleaner Effluent for Lake George Homeowners
- Puraflo Protects Groundwater and Drinking Water for Indigent Homeowners
- Puraflo Solves Intermittent Use Issues for Campground
- Potential Decentralized System for Hundreds of Small Communities
- Puraflo and Perc-Rite Enable Upscale Home to be Built on Complex Site